Mr Adrian Yao Yong Tat
PhD (Edu. Tech.) Scholar, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia (expecting completion by 2015)
MA (Malay Studies), University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
BA (Malay Studies), University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Cert. in Training (Train the Trainer), Human Resource Development Fund (HRDF), Ministry of Human Resources, Malaysia.
Cert. in Gen. Translation, Malaysian National Translation Institute (ITNM).
Cert. in Theatre & Production Mgmt., Academy of Culture, Arts & Heritage (ASWARA), Malaysia.
Adrian is often mistaken as a student more than an academic on campus. Currently, he is a Lecturer and Coordinator for General Studies and Malaysian National Subjects in the School of Arts and Social Sciences, Monash University Malaysia. Currently, Adrian is pursuing his PhD in Educational Technology in Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) Penang on education technology and multimedia learning and teaching.
A self-taught and experimental 'techie', Adrian loves to experiment on various technological learning and teaching tools as well as sharing his knowledge with his peers and students. Adrian also conducts numerous workshops and trains academics and students on instructional technology along with incorporating multimedia into learning & teaching.
A firm believer in experiential learning, Adrian has conceptualised and organised various experiential learning programs. He developed Breaking the Silence: An Experiential Learning on HIV AIDS, a program on HIV AIDS education through drama / play / theatre, creation of commercials and production of short films which was awarded the Mercedes-Benz Malaysia Red Ribbon Media Awards for Excellence in Journalism in HIV AIDS Reporting in Malaysia 2008 by Malaysian AIDS Foundation (MAF) and Malaysian AIDS Council in October 2008 from former Her Royal Highness Tuanku Nur Zahirah. Adrian was also awarded the prestigious Taylor’s University Chairman’s Award for Excellence in Teaching in 2007.
An avid lover of arts, design, technology and social media, Adrian has performed as well as produced, directed and choreographed a few plays, dramas, dances and short videos. Adrian prefers to be in the backstage when he’s not performing.
- Technologies in learning and teaching
- Multimedia in learning and teaching
- Blended learning and teaching
- Instructional technology and design
- Yao, A. Y. T. (2011). Metacognitive Language Learning Strategies of Malay as a Foreign Language by Hospitality, Tourism & Culinary Arts Foreign Students: A Case in a Private Higher Learning Institution (IPTS). In A. Pandian, S. S. B. Tan & S. A. M. Mohamed Ismail (Eds.),Teaching and Learning Language: Current Trends and Practices (pp. 83-94). Penang: Penerbit USM. ISBN: 978-983-861-491-7.
- Yao, A. Y. T. (2011). To Break or Unbreak the Silence? A Journey of Experiential Learning on HIV AIDS in Taylor’s College, School of Hospitality & Tourism (TCHT). In A. Azman, I. Baba, J. Sulaiman & J. Paramaswari (Eds.), HIV / AIDS Prevention, Treatment and Care: The Way Forward (pp. 126-140). Penang: Penerbit USM. ISBN: 978-893-44685-4-5.
- Nair, P., Yao, A. Y. T. & Ramachand, T. (2011). Learning Anytime & Anywhere: The Taylor’s New Learning Experience. In IATED (Ed.),Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies, Spain (pp. 3780 – 3789). Barcelona: IATED. ISBN: 978-84-615-0441-1
- Nair, P., Yao, A. Y. T. & Ramachand, T. (2013). Learning Anytime and Anywhere: Redefining Students’ Learning Experience at Taylor’s University. In IATED (Ed.), Proceedings of 7th International Technology, Education and Development Conference, Spain (pp. 6386 – 6396). Valencia: IATED. ISBN: 978-84-616-2661-8
- Yao, A. Y. T. (2011, March). Food for Thought: Creativity on a Platter. Le Petit Hotellier, Volume 1 2011, pp. 16 – 17.
Conference Paper Presentation
- Yao, A. Y. T. (2008). Blackboard (BB): Be an Excellent Manager and Housekeeper! Paper presented in Forum on Enriching Student’s Learning through Technology, Taylor’s Business School, Taylor’s University, Subang Jaya, Selangor.
- Yao, A. Y. T. (2008). Hello Teachers…Manage Our BB Effectively! Paper presented in Faculty Seminar 2008, Taylor’s School of Hospitality, Tourism & Culinary Arts (TCHT), Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
- Yao, A. Y. T. (2008). Staff Perceptions on Computer Aided Assessment (CAA). Paper presented in Taylor’s Teaching & Learning Conference 2008, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.